Fourth Round Playoff Breakdown
Updated: December 4, 2008
* There are five games between undefeated teams
Archer City (12-0) vs. Albany (13-0)
Kirbyville (12-0) vs. Altair Rice Consolidated (12-0)
Blanco (13-0) vs. Refugio (13-0)
Bridgeport (12-0) vs. Liberty Hill (13-0)
Fort Bend Hightower (11-0) vs. Pearland (12-0)
* There are 7 teams that finished 3rd in their district still playing and 1 4th place team
* There are 3 First Playoff Appearance Teams Still Playing (Denton Guyer, Rockwall Heath and Pflugerville)
* Denton Guyer and Rockwall Heath are only in their 3rd varsity season
* Denton Guyer was 1-19 in their first 2 seasons
* Their are 14 teams advancing to the 4th round for the first time
* Of the 16 teams still playing in Class 5A, only Round Rock Stony Point has never played in a 4th round playoff game.
* 1A Idalou lost 2 close ones over the last 2 years in the Quarterfinals 19-17 to Stratford in 2006 and 21-18 to Canadian last year
* 5A Allen lost 37-21 in 2003 and 38-0 in 2006 by Southlake Carroll in their last 2 Quarterfinal appearances
* 5A Euless Trinity has a 27 game winning streak which is the 8th longest in 5A history. They are tied with Tyler (1994-95).
* 5A Euless Trinity and Allen will match up this week. Trinity won 24-14 earlier this year in a pre-district game.
* 3A Liberty Hill has a 37 game winning streak which includes 14 playoff games. The 37 games top 35 by Stamford (1954-56) and Sealy (1994-96).
* 4A Austin Lake Travis has a 27 game winning streak which is tied with Fort Bend Willowridge for the the 6th longest in 4A history.
* Austin Lake Travis Quarterback Garrett Gilbert has 12 rushing TD's in the playoffs. He only had 5 during their 10 game regular season.
* 25-4A is the only district with 3 teams still playing (Austin Lake Travis, Killeen and Pflugerville Hendrickson)
* 2A Daingerfield has won their 3 playoff games by an average of 51-7.
* 10-2A has an 8-1 record in the playoffs with Pilot Point and Pottsboro still playing and Callisburg losing last week
* 5 Class 5A teams from our final Top 10 are still playing
* 5 Class 4A teams from our final Top 10 are still playing
* 6 Class 3A teams from our final Top 10 are still playing
* 8 Class 2A teams from our final Top 10 are still playing
* 7 Class 1A teams from our final Top 10 are still playing
* Don't mess with the kicker : Last week Calhoun's kicker missed a field goal and an XP while Pflugerville Hendrickson's kicker made a field goal and all 4 XP's. Pflugerville won 31-30.
* 5A Austin Westlake scored 14 points last week without their offense even took thier first snap. RB Ryan Swope returned the oppening kickoff 96 yrds for a TD. After Halingen scored, they kicked of and Swope did it again, this time from 86 yrds out.
* 1A Quinlan Boles has rushed for 5,441 yards this year. An average of 418 per game
* 1A Junction RB Dustin Stapp scored all of their TD's last week and also accounted for 216 of the teams 260 total yards. The week before that he had 356 of the teams 416 total yards and 6 of the 7 TD's
* 1A Maud will match up again with Cayuga who they beat 20-12 last year in the playoffs.
* 2A Muleshoe quarterback Wes Wood has 60 TD's on the season. Graham Harrell holds the record with 67.
* 4A Denton Ryan's Junior quarterback Scotty Young finished his season last week with 65 TD passes for the year.
* 2A Altair Rice Consolidated won 3 conecutive playoff games last year by 1 point each game.
* In the past 4 years, 2A Region IV teams are 0-8 vs. Region III teams in the Semifinals
* This is 3A Cuero's 4th sate semifinal game in the last 5 years. They are 1-2 in their last 3.
* 3A Celina (10-3) has had only 3 total losses in the previous 5 seasons combined. They have not lost 3 games in a season since 1997.
* 3A Gilmer has won 10 or more games for the 6th consecutive season.
* 4A Sulphur Springs quarterback Tyrik Rollison needs 424 yards to reach 4000 for the season.
* 4A Dayton has a dynamic duo....A.J. Dugat and Quarterback Cody Green. Dugat has caught 1531 of the 2663 passing yards that Green has thrown for. They have combined for 1579 yards rushing and have scored 29 TD's
* 2A Blanco has been in the playoffs for the last 5 years and 9 of the last 10
* Blanco has beaten every opponent by double digits this year. Their closest game was 32-20. Only one team (Industrial) has scored over 20 points on them. They have 5 shutouts.
* 5A San Antonio Reagan has now reached the Quarterfinals for the 3rd consecutive year
* 2A Cisco reached the Semifinals last year and was the state runner-up in 2006
* 3A Abilene Wylie is in the 4th round for the 2nd consecutive year and 3rd time in the last 5 years.
* 4A Beaumont Central is the first Beaumont teams to reach the 4th round since WestBrook in 1997.
By : Michael Wright
Lone Star Gridiron