2013 LSG Texas High School Football Team Preview — Leander Vandegrift Vipers
Team: Leander Vandegrift Vipers (25-4A)
First Varsity Season: 2010
Enrollment: 1,458 — 5th largest in the district out of 7 schools
Stadium: Ed W. Monroe Stadium (Capacity: 5,135)
Facebook: Go Vipers!!
vs Round Rock McNeil
vs Pflugerville Hendrickson
at Austin Anderson
at Cedar Park Vista Ridge
vs Dripping Springs
vs Marble Falls
at Cedar Park
vs Leander Rouse
Coach: Drew Sanders (3 years) 17-15 at Leander Vandegrift (Only head coach in Leander Vandegrift history); 34-30 all-time coaching record
Coaches Comments: Leadership is the strength of this team. Feels like a family. Excited for a deep run in the playoffs. Team is knocking on the door and ready to take the next step as a program. Predicted district finish: Cedar Park, Vandegrift, Leander, Vista Ridge, Rouse, Marble Falls, Dripping Springs
Returning Lettermen: 21
Returning Starters: Offense: 5 Defense: 5
* Tristan Prukop is the leader of the secondary and a very smart football player. 2nd Team All-District 96 tackles
* Max Regan is a dominant, big corner. 43 tackles
* Luke Peterman is a tall, fast wide receiver who uses his basketball skills well.
* Gunner Linhart is one of the best interior defensive linemen in the district. 2nd Team All-District
* Jamie Hudson is a strong running quarterback who has improved immensely in his passing skills.
* Christian Reyes is a quick, elusive running back.
* Kyle Nausha and JT Britton will anchor the offensive line as returning starters.
* Travis Brannan is a young running back with lots of potential.
2012 JV Record: 15-3 (A 8-1, B 7-2)
Primary Offensive Formation: Shotgun 2-back
Primary Defensive Formation: 4-2-5
* Have gone 13-9 over last 2 seasons
- Mike Says: The Vipers came close to making the playoffs for the 2nd time in their 3 year history last year. They lost by 7 points to a tough Vista Ridge and by 8 points to Champion Cedar Park. Look for this years team to win 5 or 6 games and compete for that 4th playoff spot.
- Chris Says: Vandegrift was the overlooked Leander team last season as Leander High and Leander Rouse shocked a lot of the state with their performances last year. Vandegrift is in a tough district and will once again have to scrap to win every game. The Vipers expect the maturation of the players and the program will be enough to help them break through this season. It is their year to make their first playoff run.
Last Years Record: 5-5 (3-3 in District)
at Round Rock McNeil (2-8) (W 28-12)
vs Killeen (7-4) (L 17-23)
at Pflugerville Hendrickson (8-3) (L 21-36)
vs Austin Anderson (1-9) (W 35-7)
vs Cedar Park Vista Ridge (8-4)* (L 6-13)
at Dripping Springs (3-7)* (W 31-21)
vs Leander (11-2)* (L 6-38)
at Marble Falls (4-6)* (W 37-7)
vs Cedar Park (14-2)* (L 12-20)
at Leander Rouse (10-5)* (W 20-14)
Playoffs: No Playoffs
* All-Time Record: 17-15 53.13% 32 games
* Playoff Years: (1) 2011
Championship History: No Championship Games
Last 3 year record: 17-15
Did you play for the Leander Vandegrift Vipers? You are eligible for The Brotherhood of Texas High School Football. <—click to be honored
Leander Vandegrift Vipers Brotherhood Members
none yet – be the first!
|Lone Star Gridiron