Manvel 26, Galena Park North Shore 13
Five Big Things in #txhsfb: 09/05/16 by Chris Doelle
Updated: September 5, 2016
Five Big Things in Texas High School Football
It's that time again… time for my Five BIG Things! These are the things that stood out for me recently as it relates to Texas high school football. As usual, they are not listed in order of importance – just as they come to me. And yes, I know another site recently added their "5 things" but as with just about everything cool surrounding "the greatest sport in the greatest state" ™ we did it here first and best!
Well opening weekend is finished and oh, what a weekend it was. Here are some things that stood out for me...
1. Yes, Lake Travis is that Good - Yes, Austin Westlake got all the press in Week One and everyone downplayed the fact that Austin Lake Travis lost to Converse Judson. Then came the game against Cibolo Steele (our #3 going into the game.) Well, Lake Travis got their stuff together and played one of the best games of the weekend.
Don't get me wrong, Cibolo Steele played a heck of a game too and still deserve to be called one of the top teams... that is kinda expected of them. Look at last week's Extra Points - I couldn't make up my mind on this game and called it a "pick 'em." I guess a 3 point double OT win qualifies as a "pick 'em."
So what does that mean for Converse Judson? (See BIG Thing #2)
Austin Lake Travis 59, Cibolo Steele 56 (Double OT)
2. The Rockets' Red Glare – The Converse Judson Rockets quietly started the season with two really big wins. After knocking off what many rated as the #1 team in 6A, they rolled all over a good San Antonio Brennan team.
So are they that good or did they catch the Cavs on an off week and a Brennan team on a down season? I think Converse Judson is the real deal. They are team that not only has a great tradition, but has the goods right now.
Converse Judson 55, San Antonio Brennan 13
3. Manvel Makes a Statement – The Mavericks of Manvel made a definite statement in their win over Galena Park North Shore. Manvel dropped down to Class 5A this offseason but graduated a ton of talent so nobody has really been talking about them as a state champion. Well, they have made a lot of folks stand up and take notice. They just knocked off the defending Class 6A DI State Champions! And it wasn't a narrow margin... they doubled North Shore's score. And this is after knocking off a very strong Crosby team. Expect them to climb from their #5 ranking this week and expect more fireworks when they go up against Pearland this week!
4. No Need for a Panic Button at Calallen - Yes, Corpus Christi Calallen lost to a middle of the road team in San Antonio Johnson. Does this put the prospect of Coach Phil Danaher surpassing G.A. Moore all-time win total in jeopardy? There are a couple reasons not to panic:
- San Antonio Johnson is a Class 6A team
- San Antonio Johnson is likely better than folks realize - I know their defense is.
- It was a very close game that Calallen almost won in the closing seconds
San Antonio Johnson 17, Corpus Christi Calallen 12
In fact, before you jump off the bandwagon, let me reassure you. Calallen will likely still be playing the last week of the postseason. Yes, I talked about it preseason and still hold that they will be in the state title game to preserve one of the best stories in Texas high school football history.
5. Post is About to Be Tested - The Antelopes of Post have outscored their opponents 95-28 in two weeks of play and seem as strong as anyone in Class 2A DI. While they are taking care of biz against schools their size, the opponent this week is Class 3A DII Coleman. The Bluecats have recently been heard mentioned in state championship discussions so will be one heck of a test for Post. Who you got in this one?
by Chris Doelle