Ken & Chris 091416
Updated: September 14, 2016
Ken & Chris Talk Texas High School Football
brought to you by Lone Star Gridiron
The AUTHORITY on Texas High School Football! ™
Each week LSG founder, Chris Doelle and Coach Ken Purcell sit down and discuss the action across the state as well as the beliefs that have made the two friends and co-authors of the soon-to-be-released book All I Need to Know I Learned From My Texas High School Football Coach: A handbook of wisdom for parents, young people and yes, even coaches! (preorders are available here)
Tune in each week during the football season for analysis on the teams and athletes and also some insight into what makes Texas high school football so great.
This week, Ken and Chris talk about:
- The fact that we are just a few days from the midway point of the regular season
- Four teams making the playoffs vs the old days of just one per district
- The difference between eras as it relates to statistics
- Teams that get a lot more games per season now due to playoffs
- Parity means that a lot of teams will have losses that go far in the playoffs
- Everyone's record at the start of the playoffs is 0-0
- Should district champs have a home game in opening week or is the seeding reward enough?
- Manvel vs Denton Ryan in the State Championship?
- When you peak is important
- As a coach, selling you philosophy to the parents and fans
- The importance of communication in a winning program
- Whether you are an athlete, a parent or a fan - cherish every minute you have around Texas high school football
- The power of a small town rivalry game in Texas
- A look ahead at some of the great games comping up this week
Teams mentioned: Denton Ryan, Frisco Lone Star, Gilmer, Carthage, Katy, The Woodlands, Manvel, Pearland, Galena Park North Shore, Canadian, Perryton, Sherman, Plano, Allen, Waxahachie, Dallas Highland Park, Ennis, Flower Mound Marcus, Mansfield, Austin Lake Travis, Cibolo Steele, Mathis, Odem, Wharton, El Campo, Dallas Madison, Canyon Lake, Wimberley, Gilmer, Carthage, Albany, Anson, Franklin, Waco Connally, Mansfield Summitt, Argyle, Abilene Wylie, El Paso Del Valle, El Paso Ysleta, Austin Westlake, Austin Bowie, Richmond George Ranch, Frisco Lone Star, Texarkana, Kilgore, Stratford, Idalou, Post, Smithson Valley,