2016 Texas High School Football Semifinal Games and Picks
Updated: December 10, 2016
- - Mike's picks
- - Chris' picks
- - Glenn McCarthy's picks (LSG Reporter and Writer)
The Woodlands - 36, Allen 28
- I'm going to call the upset here and stick with my preseason prediction that The Woodlands will surprise everyone by being in the state championship. They win by 3
- Allen by 1 in what will be a great game. The Woodlands is getting respect in this game. In most cases, everyone would be saying this is an easy Allen win.
- Tie breaker for me in this. The Woodlands pulls off the upset and wins by 1
Austin Lake Travis 63, Humble Atascocita 21
- I have seen every Lake Travis team since they started winning championships and frankly, I think this is the best one. Cavs win by 14
- Lake Travis by 10 - Atascocita had a great win last week over defending D1 Champs Galena Park North Shore
- I'll call the upset again. Atascocita proves to Lake Travis that Houston teams are just different than what they play though out the season. Atascocita by 7
DeSoto 42, Klein Collins 31
- De Soto appears to be a team of destiny and although I really like this Klein Collins team, their run ends this week. Eagles by 10
- De Soto by 2 - Collins has a big chance though to win this in their back yard. De Soto won the 2 games that they made long road trips on but it was by a combined 10 points (49-43 at Midland and 49-45 vs Abilene at Wichita Falls)
- I'll stick with the houston area teams. Klein Collins is too tough in the trenches. They win by 10
Cibolo Steele 35, Katy Cinco Ranch 14
- Cibolo Steele returns to the championship game after winning by 12
- Steele by 11 -- they finally make it to the championship game after losing in the Semifinals 3 of the last 4 years
- Just when you think I expect the Houston area teams to pull off the game 4 team sweep. Cibolo Steele shows they've been there too many times for the playoff upstart Cinco Ranch. Steele crushes them by 28
- Denton Ryan by 1 -- Must see game
- I think Ryan is the better team but Highland Park can never be counted out. Last one with the ball wins.
Temple 31, Richmond Foster 24
- I was shocked that Temple knocked off my preseason champion Manvel team. Temple is for real. They win by 14
- Foster by 3 The Temple defense played great last week, can they do it again?
Aledo 38, Mesquite Poteet 14
- I'm not sure anyone can even slow Aledo, much less stop them. Aledo win by 12
- Aledo by 7 On their way to their 6th championship game in 8 years
Corpus Christi Calallen 31, College Station 30
- College Station by 2 Both of these schools are great stories.
- Too close to call and too much emotional attachment to both programs this year.
NEXT WEEK CHAMPIONSHIP: Aledo (15-0) vs. Corpus Christi Calallen (14-1), 8 p.m. Friday, AT&T Stadium, Arlington
Abilene Wylie 21, Kennedale 13
- Abilene Wylie may have snuck up on a lot of folks this year, they did on me. I had them ranked high, just not this high. Kennedale has been up and down so I just can't trust them. Wylie takes it by 7
- Wylie by 6 -- Kennedale was our pre-season pick to win it all by Wylie has been very strong lately
Carthage 26, China Spring 20 3 OT
- China Spring by 6 -- Nothing will stop China Spring since they got by their rival Waco La Vega last week
Sweetwater 48, Gilmer 35
- The Legend of Poppy Brown continues. Gilmer by 10
- Gilmer by 4 I would love to see Sweetwater play in the championship though
- This is my pick for the best game of the week across all classes. It is shame that one of these teams has to go home. WO-S takes the win by 10.
- WOS by 7 This is my #1 WOS vs. #2 Navarro
NEXT WEEK CHAMPIONSHIP : Sweetwater (13-1) vs. West Orange-Stark (15-0), noon Friday, AT&T Stadium, Arlington
Mineola 50, Wall 8
- Wall just looks like they have more momentum right now. Yes, it is silly to pick against Mineola, but Wall win is by 7
- Mineola by 1 in what might be considered an upset
Yoakum 28, Malakoff 24
- "Dance with who brung ya'" is a saying that I've always believed in. Malakoff has been our go-to team all season. They win again, by 10.
- Malakoff by 8 Yoakum has surprised some to be here
NEXT WEEK CHAMPIONSHIP: Mineola (13-2) vs. Yoakum (11-4), 8 p.m. Thursday, AT&T Stadium, Arlington
Gunter 44, Canadian 34
- Canadian just got past their toughest matchup against Sonora last week. I don't know enough about Gunter this season to pick them. Canadian eeks out another by 3.
- Canadian by 2 on their way to their 3rd consecutive state championship game
Boling 19, Arp 18
- Boling by 1 -- each week I put Boling wins in a upset so here we go again
NEXT WEEK CHAMPIONSHIP: Gunter (15-0) vs. Boling (13-2), 5 p.m. Thursday, AT&T Stadium, Arlington
Crawford 42, Abernathy 7
- Crawford by 12 -- I did not think Abernathy could beat Anson last week but here they are
Refugio 38, Centerville 14
- Refugio by 15 The Bobcats are on a roll
- Refugio returns to the state title game with a 13 point win.
NEXT WEEK CHAMPIONSHIP : Crawford (14-1) vs. Refugio (14-1), 1 p.m. Thursday, AT&T Stadium, Arlington
Iraan 42, Wellington 21
- Iraan by 3 It will be sad to see Wellington fall...they have been great this year
- In light of their recent tragedy, football doesn't seem all that important. The Braves will continue on however by 6
Bremond 50, Burton 31
- Bremond by 10 No reason to think Bremonds win streak will stop now
- Roshaaud Paul's historic undefeated streak continues. Bremond wins by 10
NEXT WEEK CHAMPIONSHIP : Iraan (15-0) vs. Bremond (15-0), 10 a.m. Thursday, AT&T Stadium, Arlington
CLASS 1A (NOT PLAYING THIS WEEK)
Jonesboro vs. Borden County, 7:00 p.m. Wednesday (Dec. 14) - AT&T Stadium, Arlington
DIVISION II State Championship Game
Balmorhea vs. Richland Springs, 4:00 p.m. Wednesday (Dec. 14) - AT&T Stadium, Arlington